Lamentations of an unemployed graduate


It is spending spree again. When I got out of the special class from st francis college in koramangala, there was two ways before me to reach home, the one through the outer ring road and the other through the city. Quite unlike the saying ‘’ on the woods the road split in to two and I took the one less tread’’, me as usual decided to take the route most travelled and pay a visit to forum mall. These days’ malls don’t fascinate me with its assortment of people (especially women) as it used to earlier. Though none of my friends may believe the truth is I have started losing interest in these women who appear is if they have recently come out of some fashion week. As Oscar Wilde says when she wears far too much rouge and not quite enough clothes, it is always a sign of desperation in a woman. I primarily go to Landmark and end up buying some book. Considering my impecunious state and the time left for CAT it is simply outrageous to even think of books other the ones authored by Arun Sharma. Comfortably forgetting that, I brought 5 books, all classics (thus comparatively cheaper) for Rs 576. It’s summarily cheap to highlight the cost of books. But for a parasite like me who feeds on my family income it is good to be made aware of the value of luxury I am able to have now and then. Sometimes I am appalled by the numbness I show towards the state I am in. I can think of only two occasions when I earned something in my entire life. My first employer was All India Radio when they paid me Rs 500 for a program I did for them during my school days. The second one was the tuition fee I used to get from teaching an 8th standard student back in aluva. The second occupation ended in a rather wry note, the regular fees the student used to give me (whom I should confess was not very bright), made me so responsible that I overworked on his body(instead of his aptitude) finding newer ways of torture with each passing day. Honestly speaking I used to enjoy those days when I was paid to torture (and thus purge the anger I catered for the faculty who were always frugal when it came to awarding internals). Finally the poor chap got liberty from the cruel scourge (that’s me!!) and I was deprived of the Rs 300 I used to get monthly (I still believe they should have continued to pay me for the greatest lesson I taught him of tolerance. He was atleast a good 5 inches taller than me then and still surprisingly spared me albeit all the punishments. This great lesson of tolerance and compassion towards weaker beings which I was instrumental in imparting him would take him to great heights). Last heard the guy I toiled so hard to groom has started earning (he is the son of a priest and have started assisting his father in performing poojas) before his master. I think that summarises the sorry state I am in. My father always indicates when I ask him for money that he started earning from the age of 19 while his father started earning even before that (implicitly meaning I am an insult to the great family of child prodigies). Sometimes a kind of envy creeps in when you see all your friends earning while you still uses your father’s debit card. So all I can do is strongly admonish God for his laxity in providing me with a job (and don’t cheat me again by saying that you heard an offer and not a job!!!! It’s irritating to have three offers and no job).

october 18th

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home